Back to Silas S. Brown's home page
Director Musices with Lilypond ``Howto''
- Download the Linux (actually generic Unix) version of Director Musices from http://www.speech.kth.se/music/performance/download/dm-download.html
- Download CMU Lisp (or your package manager might have
cmucl; see here if you need to update packages offline)
- Set the correct full path in the
- Be in the
dm directory, and
do lisp -load
- When the menu is displayed, select option 2 and
type in the full pathname of Lilypond's MIDI
output (without putting quotes around it, contrary
to what the prompt seems to suggest)
- If you get errors like "The value of PCL::NEW-VALUE is NIL", keep entering 0 until you get back to the Director Musices menu
- Select option 3 and type
- Select option 7 or 8 and type a pathname for
the output MIDI file
- Select q, and type (quit) at the
An "expect" script could be used as a quick way of
automating this, or you could go into the Lisp internals.
You can then use my Python
hack to add pan and reverb to Director Musices' output
if your version of Director Musices doesn't implement it
Note that Director Musices may delete any
expression information that Lilypond itself has
added, so it is not advisable for use on pieces
where Lilypond has many dynamic marks to play.
All material © Silas S. Brown unless otherwise stated.