Classical Departments: a Selection
From 1996, this site has given listings of Classical Departments in Britain and worldwide.
However, Classical Studies are increasingly multi-disciplinary, and are also organised in different ways in different universities:
sometimes under Archaeology, History, Literature, Philology, Philosophy or Theology.
This makes it increasingly difficult to offer a comprehensive Directory of Departments,
A world listing of department is still provided by KIRKE, the excellent collection of links edited by Ulrich Schmitzer at Humboldt University, Berlin.
and so the links given here now cover only British & Irish Departments, plus a Selection of Departments elsewhere.
Further information on British departments may be found in the annual Classics Department Rankings
provided by The Guardian and The Independent.
Yet, even that resource is not comprehensive or frequently updated, and so, if you are looking for a specific department,
it may be simplest to google the name.
Other classical resources, including online archives, may be found on other pages of this site, dedicated to:
The Departments given on this page are listed geographically, in five sections:
As the multi-disciplinary nature of classical studies is reflected in departmental titles,
the advertised subject areas (other than the default 'classics') are given with this listing.
The most common are history and archaeology, with a few other specialisations.
Departmental Rankings (The Guardian)
British Classical Associations and Historical Societies
Higher Education News, Applications, Funding
- Birmingham (Classics and Ancient History)
- Bristol (Classics and Ancient History)
- Durham (Classics and Ancient History)
- Edinburgh (History, Classics and Archaeology)
- Exeter (Classics and Ancient History)
- Kent (Classical Literature, Ancient History, Archaeology)
- King's College London
- Leicester (Archaeology and Ancient History)
- Liverpool (Archaeology, Classics and Egyptology)
- Manchester (Classics and Ancient History)
- National University of Ireland, Maynooth (Ancient Classics)
- Open University (Classical Studies)
- Queen's University Belfast (research in Ancient History)
- Roehampton (Classical Civilisation, Classics Research)
- Royal Holloway College, London (Classics and Philosophy)
- St Andrews
- Trinity College Dublin
- University College Dublin
- University College London (Greek and Latin)
- University of Wales at Cardiff (History, Archaeology and Religion)
- University of Wales at Swansea (Classics, Ancient History, and Egyptology)
- University of Wales Trinity St David
- Warwick (Classics and Ancient History)
- KIRKE (Links from Berlin)
- Luxembourg (Department of Letters, with links to Classical resources)
- Leiden (Classics Department)
- OIKOS (National Research School in Classical Studies)
- Cluj (Faculty of Letters)
KIRKE (at foot of the page)
- Buenos Aires (Faculty of Philosophy and Letters)
- Sao Paulo (Department of Classical and Vernacular Languages)
- Kyoto (Department of Classics)
| Top of Page | blf. Updated: 9 February 2014 | 112 links
| Home |