Classical Departments: a Selection
From 1996, this site has attempted to give listings of Classical Departments in Britain and worldwide, and it will continue to do so.
However, Classical Studies are increasingly multi-disciplinary, and are also organised in different ways in different universities:
This site will continue to offer links to other classical resources, including online archives, on pages dedicated to:
sometimes under Archaeology, History, Literature, Philology, Philosophy or Theology.
This makes it increasingly difficult to offer a comprehensive Directory of Departments, and so, in future,
A more extensive listing is given at KIRKE, the excellent collection of links edited by Ulrich Schmitzer at Humboldt University, Berlin.
the links given here will cover only British & Irish Departments, and a Selection of Departments elsewhere.
Yet, even that resource is not comprehensive, and its links are not all up-to-date, so those who are looking for a specific department may be advised simply to google the name.
The Departments given on this page are listed geographically, in five sections:
As the multi-disciplinary nature of classical studies is reflected in departmental titles,
the advertised subject areas (other than the default 'classics') are given with this listing.
The most common are history and archaeology, with a few other specialisations.
Departmental Rankings (The Guardian)
British Classical Associations and Historical Societies
Higher Education News, Applications, Funding
- Birmingham (Classics and Ancient History)
- Bristol (Classics and Ancient History)
- Durham (Classics and Ancient History)
- Edinburgh (History, Classics and Archaeology)
- Exeter (Classics and Ancient History)
- Kent (Classical Literature, Ancient History, Archaeology)
- King's College London
- Leicester (Archaeology and Ancient History)
- Liverpool (Archaeology, Classics and Egyptology)
- Manchester (Classics and Ancient History)
- National University of Ireland, Maynooth (Ancient Classics)
- Open University (Classical Studies)
- Queen's University Belfast (Ancient History)
- Roehampton (Classical Civilisation, Classics Research)
- Royal Holloway College, London (Classics and Philosophy)
- St Andrews
- Trinity College Dublin
- University College Dublin
- University College London (Greek and Latin)
- University of Wales at Cardiff (History, Archaeology and Religion)
- University of Wales at Swansea (Classics, Ancient History, and Egyptology)
- University of Wales Trinity St David
- Warwick (Classics and Ancient History)
- KIRKE (Links from Berlin)
- Luxembourg (Department of Letters, with links to Classical resources)
- Leiden (Classics Department)
- OIKOS (National Research School in Classical Studies)
- Cluj (Faculty of Letters)
KIRKE (at foot of the page)
- Buenos Aires (Faculty of Philosophy and Letters)
- Sao Paulo (Department of Classical and Vernacular Languages)
- Kyoto (Department of Classics)
| Top of Page | blf. Updated: 29 September 2013 | 110 links
| Home |